Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Laboratory Tests and other Health Screenings topics.
One of the most common laboratory tests ordered is the urinalysis. Doctors can learn a great deal about your health from a urine sample.
A urinalysis will look for several factors:
* Bacteria or other foreign organisms
* How many red and white blood cells are present.
* How concentrated the sample is.
* The pH, which determines how acidic or basic the urine is.
* The presence of substances the kidneys usually remove, like glucose.
If the laboratory test says that the urine does contain glucose or protein, it can indicate improper function of the kidneys or another type of infection. Highly concentrated urine can indicate dehydration.